3.06.2011

3 Yummy Treats from 1 Yummy Fruit...




Oh, what a gorgeous and yummy fruit the Meyer Lemon is. Had a few on hand to try them. I squeezed the juice out for a pitcher of homemade lemonade, ate the flesh just because, and cooked the skin into candied citrus peel.

I remember being in elementary school, about 2nd or 3rd grade, and a girl in my class had this in her lunch pretty much every week. She gave me a piece to try and I have never forgotten that yummy goodness...sweet but tangy...I was hooked.

Several years later when I was a 7th grader, I tried my hand at this oh so simple candy. Much to my disappointment it was a complete failure! I never tried it again. All these years later I decided to give it another try. I have come to realize that it was possibly due to my impatient nature that the candy had not turned out as it should (read I didn't let it cook long enough).

So as I write here on my blog, I wait patiently for the boiling sugar and water to cook the lemon peel to a tender translucent gem. I still cannot wait to taste it, but I am a much more patient and experienced cook now.

Okay, you are going to get a chuckle out of this...the candy still has not turned out right! I think I was a little too patient. The candy cooked past the syrup stage and into the hard tack stage...anyone care to try my lemon peel brittle?

This is live blogging at it's best folks...no time delays used here...

It actually tastes really good...maybe I have come up with a new taste sensation...so I can keep the title of my post. Hurray!

No comments: