3.31.2009

A Person's Perceptions Are As Individual As Their Fingerprints...

If three different people were to read the same story, more than likely you would get three different perspectives on that story. This is what happened last Friday evening at the writer's group I belong to. I read a piece I had written for my Nonfiction Magazine Article class, which had been well received the evening before in my class, by the instructor as well as other class members. The goal of this writer's group is networking, and helping each other to become the best writer's we can be. One of the activities at the meetings is for anyone who wishes to, to read their work aloud. After the reading other members can either verbally critique what had been read, or write their critique on an index card, meant for the writer's eyes alone. I never read the critique's at the meeting. I will usually wait until I am home and settled in for the night. I like to savor the good one's, and to decifer the one's which I am not clear what the person was trying to say. I had quite a few critique's Friday. All different perspective's, some made no sense whatsoever, other's appreciative of my writing and honest story telling. I write nonficiton primarily. So they are not only commenting on my technical writing skills, but also my opinion or style of writing has come under scrutiny. There are those who totally do not get what the piece is about and they can be the most critical and downright nasty. How what I've written is being percieved is like night and day from one person to the next. It's as individual as a person's fingerprints...to each his own...

No comments: